In talking about the construction of Avako with friends, family, and acquaintances, I am usually asked “What colors are you painting the walls?” or, “You are so creative, surely you will be decorating this in some fantastical style?”.
The reactions that result when they discover that we are going to paint the walls white range from outrage to dismay. People don’t seem to understand the influence that furniture and a few colored accents have in such a small space. One brightly colored object can color the walls of an entire room when there is sunlight streaming in. After doing some experimenting with color it seemed natural to use white for the walls.
However, there is no need for white walls need to be dull and un-interesting, oh no! Between all of the furniture(you can hardly find the walls in most tiny houses), the bead board walls that add texture and depth, and my fabulous plans for the bathroom, we are well taken care of in the interesting department.
Speaking of the bathroom, we have finally finished painting the drywall, which means my plans can really start to come to life!
Aaron and I decided(well, ok, I came up with the idea and put forth such good arguments that Aaron just had to agree with me) that a patterned paneling covering one wall of the bathroom would break up some of the only perfectly flat white walls we had. This would both create visual interest and protect one of our walls from moisture even more, as the paneling I was looking at was plastic.
To start, we had to cut a small strip off of one piece to make sure that our overlaps were all in the right places(as one piece wouldn’t quite cover the whole wall). This was fairly easy and gluing a small piece like this was quite straightforward.
However, the next piece promised to be a lot of fun due to the fact that it would need a window cut out of it for the ironing board cabinet alcove. This required a bit of creative thinking and measuring to make sure we placed the hole correctly.
I was pleased that once our hole had been marked, scoring and snapping the hole was very easy. Gotta love those simple pleasures!
I really wish there was something we could do with the scrap pieces we cut out, but even though we brainstormed and hung on to them for a while, we couldn’t come up with anything.
After a dry fit to assuage our fears of incorrect measuring, it was time for glue. LOTS of glue!
It was a tense few minutes, but with teamwork and a few errant shouts of “PI-VOT”(admittedly all from me) we got that sucker up on the wall!
I gotta say I simply love how it looks! Once it is fully dry we can get the trim put up and painted, and then the toilet can finally be installed.
Ahh, how nice it is to see the pieces start to fall into place:-)