Now that we have some of the materials and fixtures needed to get started, we can, well, get started!
Get used to seeing me in those blue shorts, it is too hot out here for anything else at the moment! We hope to get the building hooked up to electricity soon so we can have light and A/C, but that will depend on when the electric company can come back out to put the finishing touches on the new hook up points.
First to go? The wall paneling around each window, so the new ones can go in!
The original insulation is in good shape, but was not installed correctly, as the flaps on either side should be stapled down to create a better barrier from the outside. Looks like a lot of stapling will be in our future!
We were originally planing on just removing the paneling around the windows and then putting it back up or finding a new paneling to put up in the spots where we took it down. Unfortunately, since the insulation flaps are not stapled down and some of the insulation does not even have the paper backing on it, we will need to remove all of the paneling. It doesn’t come down nicely either, so replacing it will be necessary. Hello bead-board!
With the first chunk of paneling removed, we got started right in on replacing a window. It will be on the driveway side of the house at the foot of the bed, so we decided to use the lovely patterned privacy window we had found at the ReStore. Since the windows we got are all bigger than the existing windows, some re-framing was in order!
We also had to replace a chunk of sill plate on this window, as the sealing around the opening had given way in spots, allowing the bottom board to rot. Here is the shiny new one we put in!
We didn’t expect re-framing a single window to take so long…but it did. I finished cutting away the excess siding that was within the new window opening a little after dark, too late to put the new window in that night.
So, we put plastic over the opening, went to bed, and got up early the next day to get that puppy installed the rest of the way!
With a little bit of lifting help, some shims, and a nice bead of caulk all the way around the outside, we had our first new window for our house all done!
Nothing to see here, just an awesome window!